Saturday, August 10, 2013

Skillet Cornbread

There are certain foods that remind me of certain people.  Homemade ice cream, sweetened condensed milk and cream of wheat remind me of my Grandpa.  Beans and cornbread remind me of my Nana.  That woman could make some cast iron corn bread...oh my goodness...We're talking bacon grease heated in the skillet and then the gritty cornmeal batter poured in.  Every bit of sizzling goodness, I'm telling you.  Pair that with some butter beans that have been cooking all day - shut your mouth.
 
I've been wanting my own cast iron cookware and after eyeing the selection at HEB, I have purchased a cast iron dutch oven with red enamel and a matching skillet.  They also have the cutest mini dutch ovens.  When my husband's not looking I will start stock piling  those as well :)
 
 
Well, tonight I threw out the classic Corn Kit cornbread and made some from scratch.  I didn't have an old metal Folger's coffee can full of bacon grease like my Nana used to so I used butter.  It gave the cornbread a delicious buttery, crunchy crust so I didn't have to smear butter on the inside.  Tonight I served it with some dirty rice, spinach, lima beans, sweet tea and my zydeco playlist.
 
 
 
Look at those crunchy golden edges.  I might have to go grab the last slice from downstairs.


 
 
Skillet Cornbread

1 Tbsp butter or bacon grease
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 cups cornmeal
1 tsp baking soda
(I use self rising cornmeal so I skipped the baking soda)

Preheat oven to 450.  Place butter or bacon grease into cast iron skillet.  Place skillet in oven.  In a medium bowl, combine eggs and buttermilk.  Mix with a fork.  In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, sugar and baking soda if needed.  Stir liquid mixture into the dry mixture.  Combine until mixed well and moist.  Remove skillet from oven.  Swirl skillet to coat the pan.  pour the batter into the hot skillet.  Return to oven.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until browned and pulling away from the skillet sides. 

I had some melted butter left over that I had brushed the top crust of the cherry pie I made for dessert so I poured that over the warmed cornbread.  Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment