Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Casual Cos - Sherlock

There seems to be a bit of a BBC craze in America.  Doctor Who, Downton Abbey and, of course, Sherlock.  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's eccentric mystery solving sleuth has made a few recent appearances.  I enjoyed the movie version with Robert Downey Jr, but I have not yet watched the new series with Lucy Lu as Watson.  A girl Watson just doesn't seem right. 

I had this discussion with my brother-in-law just the other day.  I mentioned wanting to have a Sherlock themed party for my birthday this year.  He assumed it was the Lucy Lu one.  I informed him that it was the BBC version.  He rolled his eyes a bit.  That's okay, he had the same reaction to Doctor Who and now he and his daughters are hooked.  There is just something perfect about Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes.  My BiL replied that they brought back his drug addiction in the American series.  Shocker.  Hollywood using drugs in a production is not something I get excited about.  I wonder if they address the fact that the drugs Holmes used in Doyle's time were legal.  It would be like smoking now - it's not good for you, it's addictive, but it's legal.  Which is why I like the way Cumberbatch's Holmes wears a nicotine patch (or a few).  It's the same concept, but current to today's society.  Anyway, I digress...

I am very pleased to hear a third 'season' is coming.  So pleased that I have a casual cos in honor of the show today!

 
 
P.S. My birthday is around the corner so I'll post some photos from that.  We don't do big bashes in our house.  Just a family birthday dinner with some games and cake.  But the birthday boy or girl gets to pick a theme.  We decorate according to the chosen theme and people dress up with stuff they find around the house that goes with it as well.  Good inexpensive, creative fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment