Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Super Easy Sherlock Party

It's elementary...or so I hear.

I love theme parties so for my birthday this year I decided on Sherlock Holmes.  I've mentioned before that I don't go all crazy spending money on decorations.  I like to hunt for stuff I already own that can somehow fit the theme and then purchase the rest at Dollar Tree.  I think this went off quite nicely.


We had a bright pink suitcase up in a closet and some crystal candle holders in the living room.  I purchased the pink party supplies from Dollar Tree and wrote A Study in Scarlet with a red permanent marker.  I wrote RACHE, which is Rachel, of course, and not German for revenge...


More already owned candles for the mantel.  Some dollar store frames with some Sherlock art and a quote drawn by my daughter.  I had the plaid wool in my fabric stash, perfect for draping.  I found magnifying glasses at the dollar store.  And for the centerpiece, my Complete Sherlock Holmes.  I also have had this black and white wrapping paper for years...Add a bright yellow smiley face and the fireplace was transformed.


I bought these great votive candle holders years ago.  You can take the top black ring off and then slip whatever artwork you want inside because there are two layers of glass with about 1/4" space in between.  My daughter drew some great silhouettes for me which looked fabulous when we lit the inner candles.  Toss another Sherlock book I already had on the table and we are calling it done.

I love simple, but creative parties.  I hope my kids look back on our family parties one day with fond memories. 

You don't have to spend a lot to pull off the theme, just look around your home and improvise!

No comments:

Post a Comment