Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Seasoned Nurses

There is something to be said for old nurses.  I used to be the youngest, most inexperienced nurse on nights...

Those were the days.  I had terrific mentors with a wealth of knowledge.  Granted they weren't always super excited about having to teach me and labor and delivery can be so hectic.  But the stories they could tell and the things they had seen.  Amazing!

Now I'm finding myself at the top of the schedule list because these amazing ladies left, retired and even worse, switched to days! (Gasp!)  Now I'm the mentor and the resource, wait, what???? 

I'm not sure how I feel about that. 

One thing I am sure about, I miss them terribly.  In their late forties and fifties (and one in her sixties), they could out work most of these younger nurses.  They just seemed different.  Strong, independent, confident.  I'm not sure I appear that way to the newer nurses that have come after me.  Maybe...I hope so. 

One thing I do know, they were AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment