Tuesday, July 16, 2013

KFC Coleslaw



I was looking for the perfect coleslaw recipe, which for me would taste something like the stuff you get from Kentucky Fried Chicken.  I'm sure by many foodie standards KFC coleslaw would not qualify as the best, but I think it is totally delicious.  An internet search brought several great recipes and they all were pretty much the same.  Some added a fourth of a cup of milk, but that seemed like it would be too liquidy for me.  This one turned out pretty darn good, I must say.  My husband thought it was a bit heavy on the vinegar and my mom told me to add celery seed (I didn't bother to tell her it already had celery seed in it, sometimes you just have to let your mom give your cooking 'constructive' feedback because that is just what she does).  I think I would just toss the slaw mix into a food processor and get those perfect tiny bits of cabbage and carrots that make you forget that you are eating vegetables.  :)


 
 
KFC Style Coleslaw
 
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar (some recipes used plain white vinegar)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
16 ounce bag of already chopped coleslaw mix from the produce section
 
 
Whisk together all of the ingredients except for the slaw mix.
Toss in the bag of slaw mix and mix until well combined. 
Chill at least three hours prior to serving.
 
I made my batch in the morning when I put my pork in the crockpot for pulled pork sandwiches.  Excellent side for some summer BBQ!

No comments:

Post a Comment