Wednesday, June 19, 2013

How Does MY Garden Grow?

Well, my garden has gone from this:


To this:

 
This is my first real attempt at gardening.  I have tried before and put a lot of work into the start, but didn't maintain it very well...I did get some cantaloupes out of that garden, but my dog pretty much turned them into balls and smashed them all over the back yard.  That happened with our pear tree one year too. 

But this year - semi success!!  Things I have learned from this experience:

1)  Spend some time and effort making a good organic pest control spray!  A lot of the veggies had some bug damage!
2)  A garden attracts a lot of birds!  They have perched on the back fence just stalking the produce.
3)  I need to put a bit more into the soil prior to planting and I've read to fertilize about every 4 weeks.
4)  Space the plants according to directions.  Putting them closer doesn't mean you are going to get more veggies because you have more plants.
5)  Put the label right in the front of the row.  I put mine to the side and then couldn't remember if I put the label to the right or the left of the row.

It was still a lot of fun and the kids enjoyed watering it and checking to see if things were growing.  I know I'll turn my thumb green eventually.

This fall I'm going to try again - maybe even have our own small pumpkin patch!

No comments:

Post a Comment